Monday, April 23, 2012

Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

Title: Glitch
Author: Heather Anastasiu
Publication Date: August 7th 2012
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Read synopsis: Goodreads

Rating: 3.75 of 5 stars


Glitch is a very interesting and fascinating novel. I wasn't really into dystopian novel which are about, uh, how am I going to describe it? robot-like people? cyborg? computer chips and stuffs? Something like that, you get it right? Like Skinned or Cinder (Although I heard really a lot of good things about the latter and am planning to read it soon). Themes like that just don't appeal on me that much. But when I saw this on my friend's blog's WoW, I find it really interesting and appealing. I had it high on my to-read list and when I say it was up in Netgalley I requested it right away.

I tried not to have so many expectations on this book (my tendency of dropping some books unfinished was pretty high lately) but I was pretty excited when I started it. And well, thank goodness because it did not disappoint! I wouldn't say it was perfect, I actually have some little issues on some stuffs but I can overlook most of it because the overall was good and I really enjoyed it.

I was happy that the story starts when Zoe already started glitching. I was afraid I would get bored if she hasn't yet and would only describe their utopia society on a perspective of someone who believe and trust everything in that world. It had been more endearing since when it started, although confused, she was already questioning stuffs, how their society works, which should be right or wrong. Things escalate pretty fast on the first thirds which was good since it's already giving you the hype for starters. The attraction between Zoe and Adrien went fast too than what I expected, I know this might not appeal on most readers, especially to someone like me who's always complaining about insta-love. It wasn't really that insta-love though because on the following parts there were some unfavorable circumstances that happened that affected the romantic aspect that it kind of almost took away what had been there first however I find it good because it also enable the attraction between the two and their relationship to develop in a more natural and profound way.

Other stuffs that I like was the paranormal stuff - their X-men-like abilities. It was that aspect that definitely attracted me to read this. Although I think there were something that's lacking on that part that made me not so enthused as I was to Shatter Me and Hunting Lila. But I'm still looking forward for more of it on the following books and hopefully it would be really good.

The characters were great. I like Zoe and I understand her confusions and struggles, I mean it was really terrifying to live in a society where people live mechanically, no feelings, no emotions, no compassion. Then suddenly you would wake up and feel every kinds of emotions. So even when Zoe was having difficulties in making her choices and actions I didn't get really frustrated at her. She was an admirable character and I like how her character developed through out the story, how she cares and thinks for everyone, how she faced conflicts and problems and how she discover feelings and emotions and how she dealt with it.

Adrien was a very compassionate and likable character. He used his ability to help people even though it was so very risky and dangerous. He's very genuine and caring. Uh, I really don't know what else to say about him but he's fairly an interesting character. Oh yeah, I love it how he explained and described feelings and emotions to Zoe.

I haven't read dystopia novels lately and it's really great to find a good one after a long break. The overall feeling of this book was somewhat like Delirium and Divergent(I'm not really making your hopes high and some might not agree with me but that's how I find it. Haha!). All in all, it was an entertaining and engaging read. And I'm definitely looking forward reading the whole series.

Thanks Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for providing an advance copy! :)

5 comments:

  1. Amazing review Eunice! Like I said on GR, I'm dying to get stuck into this soon. I had a quick scroll through and like what I have read so far. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, Sam! Haha! It was on your WoW the first time I actually saw this. :)) Hope you like it as much as I did! :))

      Delete
  2. Still. there is some good. The concept itself is good. The last few chapters were excellent when Adrien's slang wasn't spreading like a virus. None of the good aspects were enough for me to really care about going forward with the series though. In the end the bad beat out the good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this book on NetGalley a couple of months ago but didn't read it because of the negative reviews but you liked it and it does sounds interesting. I just might pick it up now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really awesome read - definitely can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this! Great pick. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...